tisdag 7 mars 2017

Day 1 - 7 games (8), 25 kyu

On my second day I decided to carve out some more time and get more games in. My first game of the day was also my first ever win at Go. It was somewhat of a hollow victory, as it seemed like my opponent did not fully understand the capture rules and consistently failed to get his stones out of atari. My success was short lived, as I followed up with four consecutive losses.

In the first loss I again failed to recognise when I was put into atari, and more importantly when I could be and have my stones cut off. #16 was a misclick due to the MacBook Pro "tap to click" function on the mousepad. This wasn't the first or last time, so perhaps I should turn that off. After giving up the bottom half of the board, I thought I could at least get territory on the top, but the invasion in the top right was too far gone and I knew I had lost. On instinct I didn't think black should've been able to capture the top left corner though. When I played carelessly and he killed my entire group I was quite shocked. I think that if I'd played #60 at C8 instead I would've been fine.

The second loss was due to missing a massive atari on move #28. Painful but eventually I will notice these things.

In my third loss I got caught in a ladder early on, and gave away several stones. At several points I played moves that weren't directly self atari, but only had two liberties and nowhere to run (like #23).

The subsequent game I find harder to pinpoint where I lost, but I think #21 was a big mistake that let my stones be cut off, and I should have connected at F7 instead.

Next up, I got to play the center point and this turned out quite well. By capturing two stones early I felt like I got a shape that was hard to attack, and this helped me throughout the entire game. The cut at #22 was doomed to fail as it is a ladder, lesson learned! My opponent tried to play moves inside my territory in the late game and I thought it was pointless, but this was a good exercise. I passed at #58 because I thought there was nothing I could do. If my opponent had played A1 at #61 I think he would have made two eyes and lived, but he missed it. I think I should have played A2 instead of D1 at #56 to fully kill his group, but probably he should not even be able to capture a stone with such an invasion. Maybe B2 at #50 stops it.

In the final game I again played tengen. My opponent tsuke'd and we got into a fight. White #10 was a big mistake, as he forced me to atari his group. After white #26 I "misread", I couldn't play A6 or A8 as that was self atari, but A5 effectively was as well. Thinking about it now, I believe C4 would've been the right move and would have let me capture his bottom group. Another big mistake was G9 at #53, which should've been F8. My opponent could've made eyes, but our mistakes cancelled each other!

The last two games were fun, as I felt I won by having an ever so slightly better understanding of the game. Things I need to focus on:
-Not playing stones that are effectively self atari a few moves down the line
-Keeping my stones connected
-Knowing how to kill invasions in territory that should be mine


My Go background music for last night:
Immortal - A Perfect Vision of the Rising Northland
Immortal - Cryptic Winterstorms

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar