lördag 11 mars 2017

Day 6, 3 games (17), 23 kyu

Today I decided to finally play a 13x13 game, but before that I wanted to warm up with some 9x9. That's what I told myself at least.

In the first game my opponent was black and he opened with 5-5, which I liked because I feel I haven't gotten to play against that since I started using it myself. Not wanting to give up half the board I played the tsuke. I ended up cross cutting, but we didn't get into a fight. After about 25 moves I was feeling quite comfortable, but soon thereafter I missed a huge atari and lost the entire game in one move. When will I stop doing this?! I also think move #26 was a mistake on my part, I was focused on not letting him connect inside my territory, but I should have played the atari at G5. Not wanting to let him connect was actually what caused me to miss the atari, because I was too focused on the former.

In the second game I got ahead early. Towards the end of the game white had territory in the upper right:
Now, while I haven't started doing tsumego yet I suspect that I shouldn't be able to kill white's group. However, in the game I thought that I might be able to, and I decided to play H8, because it has four liberties, so white has to play a lot of stones inside his own territory to capture it and that would give me more moves to reduce his eye space. It ended up working, but after the game I couldn't figure out a way where white can't kill me in some way. My opponent tried something similar in the lower right, and it didn't work. For better players I imagine these situations are trivial.

On to my first 13x13 game! I was really unsure how to play the opening, but since the board is bigger I figured playing the centre was no longer as good an idea, so I went for hoshi. My first mistake was move #17, where as soon I placed the stone saw the double atari at G10 coming. I did however see the ladder on the lower stone, so I decided to connect on the top. Missing the atari at move #24 was probably a bigger mistake though, but they don't stop there! My group in the top left got chased into the corner and when I played move #39 I almost face palmed, as I realised I killed my own possibility to make eyes. Later I saw that the group was already dead by that point. I think what I should have done was to hane at B11 on move #33:
The reason I didn't was that it would force white to atari my stone at D10. However, not only could I easily save this stone with the support of C7 and then capture a lot of white stones if he chases me, I think I would have been fine even if he had captured it (though looking at it again now, that is a worse outcome). Luckily I realised that my group was dead and I tenuki'd. White spent three moves in the top left capturing my stones (moves he didn't need to play), and this let me gain some influence on the right side:
Looking at the board however, it seemed like white ended up with a lot more territory than I, so with the support of my stone at C7 I decided to invade white's territory, since I had lost if I couldn't make something happen:
I was unsure if this could work, but the area was quite open so I thought it might be possible. White responded quite strangely by connecting at E3, which I didn't think could be cut. The exchange ended up working out into my favour, I was able to live and at the same time removed most of white's territory. That seems like too good of an outcome, so I suspect a better player would thwart it every time. I did make a potentially game ending mistake by passing at move #107 before I had connected at J5 and K5, in my head that area was already safe, but if my opponent had passed as well I think OGS would have declared me the loser. White did try to invade my territory much the same way I did his, but it was not as open and he didn't have any supporting stones, so it failed.

Playing on the 13x13 board was a lot of fun! On the 9x9 board, losing that group in the top left would have cost me the game, but here I was able to make a comeback. This will be even more true on the 19x19 board, but I'm holding off on that for now.

Lessons (hopefully) learned:
-Don't get too caught up trying to save every single stone.
-Actually, don't get too focused on anything! Try to see the whole board.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar